On Thursday, I had the opportunity to reflect on some of the wonderful traditions that have been passed on from my mother and father, and also to enjoy some of the new traditions we are creating in our own family...
We have spent most of our lives spending the Thanksgiving holiday with members of our family, but now that we live so far away from most of our family, we had to start a new tradition of sharing the holiday with local friends. This is the second year in a row that we have invited a few families to join us in our home for the Thanksgiving feast, and we had a delightful time together. We had eight adults and seven kids all told, and everyone contributed something to the meal... it was the easiest Thanksgiving morning... I only had to make the rolls, and supervise the turkey. Everything else (sweet potatoes, stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes, and three kinds of pie) was brought by our friends, and everything was deeeeeelicious!!
A photo of most of the group
Two traditions that I brought (literally) to the table... butterflake rolls...
... and m&m and mixed nut turkey favors... we had these at every Thanksgiving table I can ever remember.
One tradition that we started new this year came courtesy of Sarah's preschool teacher. Sarah came home on Tuesday with a 'Thankful Tree', and we decided to have everyone add a leaf after dinner. Each leaf had "I am thankful for..." written on it, and everyone got to write something or draw a picture of what they are thankful for. Here is our full tree...
I, personally, am thankful for my wonderful and loving family (immediate and extended) and great friends. Thanks, everyone for the enjoyable memories!
7 comments:
Thank you for having us for Thanksgiving. It was truly enjoyable.
Creating and keeping old family traditions is such a sentimental part of the holidays that I love. You did a great job and your house is so pretty. Pass those delicious butter flake rolls please!!
Those turkeys are so cute! I like your thankful tree idea.
I like that turkey favor :) pretty cool and I love your living room. Where do you pick your colors from. can I steal? That blue is perfect.
We are thankful for great friends who invite us over for dinner. It was a pleasure. And those rolls were to die for!
My first thought was how much I love that blue color in your living room! If you know the name and brand, I want it! I'm glad you guys had a good thanksgiving. I'm actually excited to one day spend a thanksgiving in my own home, I've yet to do that!
For those who asked...my living room blue is called Aqua Smoke. It is the Olympic Brand paint that they sell at Lowes in an eggshell finish. And, yes, you can steal.
It took me a long time to find a blue that I liked with my carpet, but I am so happy with the final result. Painting a room a new color holds a great measure of satisfaction for me.
Post a Comment